ILC-I Awards 2015
The ILC-I Awards
ILC-I distributes its Annual Awards on 17th November every year- the Anjani Mashelkar Inclusive Innovation Award; the late B. G. Deshmukh Awards for ‘Promoting Excellence in Qualitative Ageing’ & the ‘Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar’ ; the late Dr. S. D. Gokhale Award for “Promoting Qualitative Journalism in Ageing”.
Under the ILC-I Awards given by ILC-I, amongst others, are
The late B. G. Deshmukh Awards, for two categories
The two categories of the awards are:
- The B. G. Deshmukh Award for “Excellence in Promoting Qualitative Ageing” given to a senior citizens’ organization in the state of Maharashtra.
- The B. G. Deshmukh “ Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar” (Lifetime Achievement Award) for a senior citizen above the age of 70 years from Maharashtra for exemplary work done by him/her in the fields of either culture, arts, music, sports, science, education and/or literature.
The Awards carry a cash prize and a citation.
Criteria for application for the B. G. Deshmukh Award for ‘Excellence in Promoting Qualitative Ageing’:
- The work done by the senior citizens organizations should be for the cause of the elderly and also for the development of society in general, with a particular focus on the needy and the underprivileged. (Please attach comprehensive details of the same along with the relevant photographs).
- The organization must be registered under the appropriate authority. (Please attach a copy of the Registration certificate of the organization).
- The organization must be registered at least for a period of three years.
- It must have a sizeable number of members.
- A Copy of the Annual Report & the audited statement of the organization must be attached.
Criteria for application for the B. G. Deshmukh ‘Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar’:
- A senior citizen individual above the age of 70 years from Maharashtra.
- Someone who has made a valuable contribution or done laudable and exemplary work in the fields of either culture, arts, music, sports, science, education and/or literature.
- No self-application is allowed. The applications have to be sent by someone other than the applicant, nominating the potential award winner.
- Details about the work done by the applicant along with the relevant documents and photographs have to be sent.
- All applications must be sent in the form of hard copies along with the relevant documentation and photographs.
- No applications by email will be entertained.
- Please attach the Xerox copies of the documents and not originals. It may also be noted that no applications, documents or the photographs will be returned to the applicant.
- The last date for sending in the applications is the 15th of September 2015.
- The applications must be marked to:
The Executive Director,
International Longevity Centre-India
c/o CASP Bhavan, S.No. 132/2, Plot No.3,
Pashan-Baner Link Road,
Telephone: 020/65002595; 020-25862845
Please also mark the envelope with the category of the Award under which the application has been made.
The late Dr. S. D. Gokhale Award for “Promoting Qualitative Journalism in Ageing
ILC-I was founded by the late Dr. S. D. Gokhale , the well-known social scientist of international repute in 2003.
About the late Dr. S. D. Gokhale:
The late Dr. S. D. Gokhale was an Advisor on social issues to the Govt. of India, the UN, WHO and other national and international organisations. He was the editor of the prestigious newspaper set up by Lokmanya Tilak, “Kesari”. Dr. Gokhale was also an acknowledged gerontologist and has written many books, articles, papers on social issues including ageing at national and international levels.
He was the President of the International Federation on Ageing (IFA), an international voluntary organization for a period of ten years having been its president for two terms of five years each.
He has been the recipient of several awards, both national and international, including the Sasakawa Health Prize awarded by World Health Organization (WHO) at Geneva on May 25, 2006 for outstanding work done in the field of leprosy; The Vayoshreshtha Samman Award for Outstanding Work in the field of ageing by the Govt. of India in 2005 ;The G.D. Birla International Award for Humanitarian Service in 2002; International Gandhi Award Was Conferred On Him By Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation for the year 1997-98, to name just a few.
Before he passed away on the 15th of January 2013, he had instituted an Award for journalists with a view to propagating the issues of the elderly through the media to ensure maximum levels of awareness and advocacy on it in society known as the Dr. S. D. Gokhale Award for ‘Promoting Qualitative Journalism in Ageing’: Every year, ILC-I gives an award to a journalist who has brought out qualitative articles or features on ageing covering comprehensively all the related issues of the senior citizens like – physical and mental health, financial security, elder abuse, protection of life and property of the elderly, the legal aspects, planning for retirement, intergenerational solidarity, age-friendly societies, the national and international plans and policies on ageing, caregiving of the elderly, products and services for the elderly including innovational ones, feminization of ageing, rights of the older persons, society’s responsibilities, building elder-friendly infrastructure etc.
The award is for journalists from either the Marathi or English media.
For selection, the criteria are- choice of subjects; outreach in terms of readership; they should cover varied aspects of ageing; frequency of the articles/features; the potential impact of the articles with a view to enabling a qualitative change at least in terms of awareness; the outreach of the medium in which the article appears.
The Award carries a cash prize of Rs. 5000/- and a citation.
A jury of eminent experts will select the winner.
Those who qualify under the above criteria may send in their applications in soft and hard copies of their documented published articles with relevant details, bio-data , marking the application as ‘Dr. S. D. Gokhale Award’, to :
The Executive Director,
International Longevity Centre-India (ILC-I)
CASP Bhavan, S.No. 132/2, Plot No.3,
Pashan- Baner Link Road,
Pashan, Pune-411021 (Maharashtra)
Please note that the last date for sending in applications under this category is the 15th of September 2015.